Florida Keys and Key West Arts and Culture
Florida Keys and Monroe County Arts:
The Keys are made up of small towns and communities. However, due to the strong economy from our tourist base, the Arts are a primary part of our culture. Most weekends bring festivals and street parties throughout the Keys and especially in Key West. Photography of wildlife here is also great.
The Florida Keys Council of the Arts does a great job in supporting Art in the Keys.
Also see the Key West Arts and historical society.
• The Keys Community Concert Band. Susan Bazin 451-4530.
• Keys Chamber Orchestra. Call Inga-Lisa Wright, 305-744-0508
• The Key West Pops, Inc. - 305 293-7658,
• Note to musicians-There are about a zillion Tiki bars etc, that have live music. The times range from the afternoon through the evening. The pay is generally better than you'll find working in a regular club in the rest of the country. In addition to that, most outdoor venues shut their music down about 11-so the hours are shorter.
Museums and Culture:
• Ernest Hemingway Home & Museum - 305 294-1136.
• Flagler's Station Historeum®--305-295-3562.
• Key West East Martello Museum - 305 296-3913,
• Key West Lighthouse Museum - 305 294-0012,
• Key West Museum of Art & History - 305 295-6616
• Key West Shipwreck Historeum - 305 292-8990.
• Little White House Museum - 305 294-9911.
• Lofton B. Sands African Bahamian Museum - 305 293-9692.
• Wrecker's Museum - 322 Duval St., 294-9502.
• Middle Florida Keys
• Marathon Community Theatre, 5101 O/S Hwy.....305 743-0994
• Key West Theatre
• Island Opera Theatre.....305 296-1520
• Red Barn Theatre, 319 Duval St (Rear).....305 296-9911
• Waterfront Playhouse, Mallory Square.....305 294-5015
Art Galleries/ Visual Arts:
• Over 90 galleries throughout the Keys
• Note to Artists: Regardless of the medium, there is a place for you in the Keys. The Keys strongly support resident artists.
Key West Art Galleries
Alan S. Maltz Gallery
Black Pearl Fine Art
Cuba Cuba Gallery
Gallery Key West
Gingerbread Square Gallery
Island Arts Co-Op
Key West Folk Art
Lucky Street Gallery
Monkey Apple Art Factory
South Pointe Gallery
Wild Side Gallery
Art @ 830
Audubon House Gallery
Boy & His Dog Gallery
The Gallery on Greene
Guild Hall Gallery
Hatian Art Company
Island Style Gallery
Key West Art Center & Gallery
Kennedy Studios Gallery
KW Light Gallery
90 Miles to Cuba
Mary O'Shea's Glass Garden
Red Door Gallery
Roy John-Karl Gallery
Sign of Sandford Gallery
Stone Soup Gallery
Writers groups in all genres (from screenwriting to novels) are spread throughout the Keys. There is definitely a reason so many world class writers and Play-rights have made and do make the Keys their home. Especially Key West.(“Ernest Hemingway” ) The musician and actor community here is strong.
In conclusion, the arts community in the Keys is strong and will even grow stronger. If you like the arts and a small community with lots of outdoor opportunities, The Florida Keys could be just your place.
Wouldn’t it be nice to vacation here and not have to leave?
We only spend a small percentage of our lifetimes outdoors, why not make the most of it.